Saturday 14 April 2012

Domo Arigato Mr Roboto



I totally want to be a cyborg. Despite watching two series of 'The Sarah Connere Chronicles' this week, I'm still psyched to see the emergence of the augmented human. This week has been a little hectic, but several stories have still caught my attention. I do read several tech and gadget blogs, so I see cool emerging techologies in various stages of development.


It's interesting to see devices go from concept to prototype to kickstarter then to a product announcement at CES or the like. For example the google glasses concept excites me, there is definite potential for that to be the first stage in true augmented reality. Combined with the iOptik contact lenses DARPA has just invested in, the AR device could become almost invisible.








Speaking of DARPA, one of their main contractors Boston Dynamics is totally the REAL Cyberdyne Systems, 'Petman' is a terrifying but also fascinating glimpse at the future, they are building humanoid robots that can climb stairs and walk with such a realistic gate it astounds me. Asimo the Honda robot looks comical in comparison to how this sucker moves, adapts and strongly resembles a skinless T-101 crushing a bleached human skull underfoot. 







I've been an early adopter for as long as I can remember, I was the first person at school with a CD writer, in 1999 everyone at school had MiniDisc players, however having just gotten into napster I saved all summer and spent £200 on a very early portable MP3 player the Diamond Rio, It had a smartmedia card slot with a 32mb card that held about 15-20 songs. I'll queue up to get my neural implant chip installed, pre-order my AR contact lenses and save my wages for weeks to have a chance to get an early model cyborg arm attached. I'm sure the arm will spaz out and try to strangle me, the lenses will probably be low res and impractical at first and that the chip only hold a few phone numbers for me. But that's how new tech always is, and I love it, I want to be part of it, and I want it to be a part of me! :)




Related Thing


Future Soon - Jonathan Coultan



No comments:

Post a Comment