Monday 23 April 2012

Fantasy Vs Sci-Fi


I'm a sci-fi guy, I've never really gotten the fantasy genre. It all seems too easy. 'Magic' explains everything away. In sci-fi there is of course made up stuff but it's internal logic seems to make sense. In sci-fi if someone has a superpower, it's because of gamma rays or a spider bite, in fantasy they are just 'magic' or 'chosen'. It's really hard to suspend my critical thinking and accept 'curses' and 'energy' or 'spirits'.


Even in my favorite type of movies, zombies, I can only enjoy it if there is either no explanation of the plague or an infection. A voodoo curse or punishment from god and I'm out, can't enjoy it.


So given that, this is a massive leap I'm taking. I have decided to try, try, try to enjoy fantasy. I'm slowly easing my way in to the genre. Ok I have slightly been pulled in to it by a friend, she's bringing me over to the dark side show by show...  :-). 'Dark side' a star wars reference there, what would be the fantasy equivalent? Probably the same now I think about it. So there is some common ground at least, after all in bookshops there is very often only a forward slash separating the two.


I'm into game of thrones which is set in a fantasy world but is largely just people killing and humping each other, but it does have dragons this season. 


Lost girl is amazing, which is very much a fantasy show but it takes place in a modern setting which tempers it a little for me I think. 


Now I've just watched the first few eps of 'Once upon a time'. It's about a town full of people who are really fairytale characters but have forgotten because of an evil witches curse. That's the core premise.... it's testing my resolve slightly.


Oh! and how can I forget that I've been watching 'the guild' for 5 seasons, but that's about gamers, who happen to play a fantasy MMORPG. But this has in turn lead me, via my second favourite redhead geekette (Felicia Day) into the world of fantasy gaming and books and Larp culture (only as an observer though, I have no urge to run around the woods in tights or develop a WoW addiction). 


But the genre is quite addicting, it's like I'm getting into harder and harder drugs. If I end up quoting lord of the rings and harry potter It'll be like I've hit the crack pipe.


Although, Looking at the number of the top 50 movies on IMDB that I have watched, watching the LOTR trilogy would push my score up 3 notches. I already watched 12 angry men to increase my score (great film btw) so I might watch the whole trilogy just once. In fact I might watch it as a marathon with my first favorite redhead geekette, and the person who got me hooked in the first place, Laura. 


*sparks up metaphorical crack pipe*






Related Thing




No comments:

Post a Comment