Wednesday 21 March 2012

Being a loud mouth with a brain is tough

For those of you who don't watch the celebrity apprentice US, this week Penn Jillette was called out for being condescending to Lou Ferrigno by Clay Aiken. I totally respect Penn Jillette, not all his beliefs line-up with my own but I respect his integrity and his character, perhaps because I see so much of myself in him. 


I'm a big loud opinionated smart-ass. It frustrates me greatly when I have to listen to idiots opinions which are wrong but are treated as just as valid as mine. The thing about a show like the apprentice though is not to be as nice to each other as you can. It's to come up with good ideas and execute them well.  So Penn's method while it might hurt Lou's feelings is perfectly valid and a good way to achieve that.


Also I think maybe Penn's tendency to annunciate and gesticulate when explaining things to an audience coupled with his stature and the fact he was talking to a deaf man made it look like he was being more condescending than he actually is.


But the thing I admire most about him is the way he handled it afterwards. He put his hands up and said sorry I did that, and he quietened down. Then Clay tried to insinuate that he was not helping at all because it wasn't his idea. Clay was clearly doing this to get in good with Lou.


Regardless of what Clay was saying, Penn is by a mile the smartest person on the team and should be respected for it. If he goes before Lou then it's proof that brains get you no-where and youre better off being a loud idiot than a loud genius.



Related Thing









No comments:

Post a Comment