Tuesday 27 March 2012

We've Got to Stamp This Out!


Stamps are going up 14p! First class is going to hit 60p in April. Now that might not seem like a lot to an average Joe who sends maybe a dozen letters a year. I send out over 100 every week! that's £14 a week loss to me. And it's not like they are improving the service either. It often takes a week for a 1st class letter to arrive at it's destination, and don't get me started on the amount of letters and packages Royal Mail looses, at least one a week of mine doesn't reach the recipient. 

The argument they are giving for the increase is that because of email people are sending less letters so they aren't making as much money. So the response to having a smaller pool of loyal customers who use your service is to gouge them for more money because you can. That's a business model I'm sure won't backfire massively. eBay sellers like me are keeping the Royal Mail afloat, our postman has a van full of packages every day and a small sack of bills and junkmail. TNT and other carriers aren't hiking their prices by a third every year. I already use them for larger packages because Royal Mail just don't try to compete, they think they hold a monopoly by having shops everywhere. Only a matter of time before they alienate so many small businesses that they go the way of the dinosaur.


But for now Royal Mail is a T-Rex I have to deal with daily. I'm going to buy up as many stamps as I can before the rise. Saving my profit margins for a few months at least. Then who knows? Might have to change strategy.


Related Thing




No comments:

Post a Comment