Thursday 15 March 2012

You say Potato, I say Potato





Last night I used the phrase "potato, potato" (Being pronounced po-tay-tow , po-tar-tow) in a text and I immediately realised the person I had sent it to wouldn't hear how I'd pronounced it in my head.


When texting or IMing pronunciation and the subtle nuance of language can rarely be translated. The amount of fights and misunderstandings texting must cause, simply by us not thinking about how written and spoken words can differ, when you introduce sarcasm and irony into the mix you have a recipe for disaster.


Thankfully we have ;-) ,  :-P , JK and  LOL to save us from some of these pitfalls. *side note* Can we please keep these only for texting? don't say LOL to my face, it's annoying and it's a lie. Your not "laughing out loud" are you??


I also used the phrase "thanks for the effort" in reference to some photos I needed that hadn't quite gotten to me on time due to technical difficulties. This was misunderstood to mean "Nice try but you FAILED!" where I really meant to thank the person for putting in the energy and effort into taking them and sending them to me. It also took a few messages and emoticons :'( before I realised how upset they were. All was calmed, clarified and resolved eventually, thankfully.


Moral of the story: think before you text, and when you read one.




Related Thing



skip to 4:30 for the potato bit.





This is just one of the things on my mind right now. There's a lot of stuff floating around in there so I'll try to keep this blog updated.


I want to be all creative and post original photos, art, poetry and the like. As well as musings, and observations.


I'll probably just vent about what is bothering me or exciting me, and post links to cool stuff I see on my travels online and IRL.







No comments:

Post a Comment